Florentine Hash Skillet
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Here’s a super-quick all-in-one-skillet breakfast to start your day, loaded with hash browns, spinach, egg and cheese.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup frozen hash browns or precooked shredded potatoes (see Note)
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach
- 1 large egg
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Layer hash browns and spinach into the pan. Crack egg on top and sprinkle with salt, pepper and cheese. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the hash browns are starting to brown on the bottom, the egg is set and the cheese is melted, 4 to 7 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient note: Shredded cooked potatoes can be found in the refrigerated produce section or dairy section of most supermarkets.
Per serving: 226 calories; 15 g fat (5 g sat, 7 g mono); 226 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 9 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 3 g fiber; 374 mg sodium; 352 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- September/October 2010