Florentine Hash Skillet
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Here’s a super-quick all-in-one-skillet breakfast to start your day, loaded with hash browns, spinach, egg and cheese.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup frozen hash browns or precooked shredded potatoes (see Note)
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach
- 1 large egg
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Layer hash browns and spinach into the pan. Crack egg on top and sprinkle with salt, pepper and cheese. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the hash browns are starting to brown on the bottom, the egg is set and the cheese is melted, 4 to 7 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient note: Shredded cooked potatoes can be found in the refrigerated produce section or dairy section of most supermarkets.
Per serving: 226 calories; 15 g fat (5 g sat, 7 g mono); 226 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 9 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 3 g fiber; 374 mg sodium; 352 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2010