Flat-Iron Steak Salad with Mustard-Anchovy Dressing
From EatingWell: March/April 2014
This steak salad recipe is tasty and easy to make. Flat-iron steak is quite tender; cook this lean cut of steak to medium-rare for the best flavor.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 flat-iron steaks (3/4 inch thick, about 1 1/2 pounds total), trimmed, or 1 flank steak, cut crosswise into 4 equal pieces
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 anchovy fillets or 1 1/2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 cups frisée or curly endive, torn into pieces
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- To marinate steaks: Combine 3 tablespoons oil, minced garlic, thyme, sage, salt and 1 teaspoon pepper in a gallon-size sealable plastic bag. Add steaks and turn the bag several times to coat them. Let the steaks marinate for 1 hour at room temperature or refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- To prepare dressing: Place vinegar, mustard, anchovy, garlic clove and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a mini food processor (or blender) and process until smooth, scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula as needed. Add 1/4 cup oil and process until creamy. Set aside for up to 1 hour or refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- To cook steaks: Heat a ridged grill pan over medium-high heat until hot or preheat a grill to medium-high.
- Remove the steaks from the marinade. (Discard marinade.) Grill the steaks (two at a time, if using a grill pan) until browned on both sides and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 125° to 130°F for medium-rare, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a clean cutting board.
- To finish the salad: Toss frisée (or endive) with the dressing in a large bowl. Divide among 6 plates. Slice the steak diagonally across the grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Top the salads with the steak and sprinkle with blue cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Marinate steaks (Step 1), prepare dressing (Step 2) and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Let stand at room temperature for 40 minutes before cooking.
Per serving: 363 calories; 26 g fat (7 g sat, 15 g mono); 79 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 0 g total sugars; 28 g protein; 3 g fiber; 589 mg sodium; 635 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (46% daily value), Folate (39% dv), Zinc (35% dv), Vitamin B12 (28% dv), Potassium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 high-fat meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Main Ingredient
- Father's Day
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- March/April 2014