Flat-Iron Steak Salad with Mustard-Anchovy Dressing
From EatingWell: March/April 2014
This steak salad recipe is tasty and easy to make. Flat-iron steak is quite tender; cook this lean cut of steak to medium-rare for the best flavor.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 flat-iron steaks (3/4 inch thick, about 1 1/2 pounds total), trimmed, or 1 flank steak, cut crosswise into 4 equal pieces
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 anchovy fillets or 1 1/2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 cups frisée or curly endive, torn into pieces
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- To marinate steaks: Combine 3 tablespoons oil, minced garlic, thyme, sage, salt and 1 teaspoon pepper in a gallon-size sealable plastic bag. Add steaks and turn the bag several times to coat them. Let the steaks marinate for 1 hour at room temperature or refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- To prepare dressing: Place vinegar, mustard, anchovy, garlic clove and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a mini food processor (or blender) and process until smooth, scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula as needed. Add 1/4 cup oil and process until creamy. Set aside for up to 1 hour or refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- To cook steaks: Heat a ridged grill pan over medium-high heat until hot or preheat a grill to medium-high.
- Remove the steaks from the marinade. (Discard marinade.) Grill the steaks (two at a time, if using a grill pan) until browned on both sides and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 125° to 130°F for medium-rare, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a clean cutting board.
- To finish the salad: Toss frisée (or endive) with the dressing in a large bowl. Divide among 6 plates. Slice the steak diagonally across the grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Top the salads with the steak and sprinkle with blue cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Marinate steaks (Step 1), prepare dressing (Step 2) and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Let stand at room temperature for 40 minutes before cooking.
Per serving: 363 calories; 26 g fat (7 g sat, 15 g mono); 79 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 0 g total sugars; 28 g protein; 3 g fiber; 589 mg sodium; 635 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (46% daily value), Folate (39% dv), Zinc (35% dv), Vitamin B12 (28% dv), Potassium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 high-fat meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Father's Day
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- March/April 2014