Flat-Iron Steak Salad with Mustard-Anchovy Dressing
From EatingWell: March/April 2014
This steak salad recipe is tasty and easy to make. Flat-iron steak is quite tender; cook this lean cut of steak to medium-rare for the best flavor.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 flat-iron steaks (3/4 inch thick, about 1 1/2 pounds total), trimmed, or 1 flank steak, cut crosswise into 4 equal pieces
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 anchovy fillets or 1 1/2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 cups frisée or curly endive, torn into pieces
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- To marinate steaks: Combine 3 tablespoons oil, minced garlic, thyme, sage, salt and 1 teaspoon pepper in a gallon-size sealable plastic bag. Add steaks and turn the bag several times to coat them. Let the steaks marinate for 1 hour at room temperature or refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- To prepare dressing: Place vinegar, mustard, anchovy, garlic clove and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a mini food processor (or blender) and process until smooth, scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula as needed. Add 1/4 cup oil and process until creamy. Set aside for up to 1 hour or refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- To cook steaks: Heat a ridged grill pan over medium-high heat until hot or preheat a grill to medium-high.
- Remove the steaks from the marinade. (Discard marinade.) Grill the steaks (two at a time, if using a grill pan) until browned on both sides and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 125° to 130°F for medium-rare, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a clean cutting board.
- To finish the salad: Toss frisée (or endive) with the dressing in a large bowl. Divide among 6 plates. Slice the steak diagonally across the grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Top the salads with the steak and sprinkle with blue cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Marinate steaks (Step 1), prepare dressing (Step 2) and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Let stand at room temperature for 40 minutes before cooking.
Per serving: 363 calories; 26 g fat (7 g sat, 15 g mono); 79 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 0 g total sugars; 28 g protein; 3 g fiber; 589 mg sodium; 635 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (46% daily value), Folate (39% dv), Zinc (35% dv), Vitamin B12 (28% dv), Potassium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 high-fat meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Father's Day
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2014