Flat-Iron Steak Salad with Mustard-Anchovy Dressing
From EatingWell: March/April 2014
This steak salad recipe is tasty and easy to make. Flat-iron steak is quite tender; cook this lean cut of steak to medium-rare for the best flavor.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 flat-iron steaks (3/4 inch thick, about 1 1/2 pounds total), trimmed, or 1 flank steak, cut crosswise into 4 equal pieces
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 anchovy fillets or 1 1/2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 cups frisée or curly endive, torn into pieces
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- To marinate steaks: Combine 3 tablespoons oil, minced garlic, thyme, sage, salt and 1 teaspoon pepper in a gallon-size sealable plastic bag. Add steaks and turn the bag several times to coat them. Let the steaks marinate for 1 hour at room temperature or refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- To prepare dressing: Place vinegar, mustard, anchovy, garlic clove and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a mini food processor (or blender) and process until smooth, scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula as needed. Add 1/4 cup oil and process until creamy. Set aside for up to 1 hour or refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- To cook steaks: Heat a ridged grill pan over medium-high heat until hot or preheat a grill to medium-high.
- Remove the steaks from the marinade. (Discard marinade.) Grill the steaks (two at a time, if using a grill pan) until browned on both sides and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 125° to 130°F for medium-rare, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a clean cutting board.
- To finish the salad: Toss frisée (or endive) with the dressing in a large bowl. Divide among 6 plates. Slice the steak diagonally across the grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Top the salads with the steak and sprinkle with blue cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Marinate steaks (Step 1), prepare dressing (Step 2) and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Let stand at room temperature for 40 minutes before cooking.
Per serving: 363 calories; 26 g fat (7 g sat, 15 g mono); 79 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 0 g total sugars; 28 g protein; 3 g fiber; 589 mg sodium; 635 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (46% daily value), Folate (39% dv), Zinc (35% dv), Vitamin B12 (28% dv), Potassium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 high-fat meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Father's Day
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- March/April 2014