Eggplant, potatoes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes and green beans flavored with rich Indian spices yields a substantial dish. Make it a meal: Top with plain nonfat yogurt and serve with brown basmati rice.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped (1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 1-pound eggplant, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 12 ounces potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (3-4 potatoes)
- 12 ounces sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (2-3 sweet potatoes)
- 8 ounces tomatoes, preferably plum tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 4 ounces green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped blanched almonds, ground to a coarse powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala, or curry powder (see Note)
- Heat oil in a large high-sided skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat until very hot. Add garlic and ginger and cook until golden, about 1 minute. Add jalapeño, cumin and turmeric and stir to distribute evenly.
- Add sugar, salt and water. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Add eggplant, potatoes, sweet potatoes and tomatoes. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes. Add green beans and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are tender, 15 to 18 minutes more.
- Mash a few of the potatoes and sweet potatoes with the back of a spoon and mix into the sauce. Stir in almonds and garam masala (or curry powder). Remove from the heat. Let stand 10 minutes before serving to allow flavors to develop.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Garam masala is a blend of spices used in Indian cooking, usually including cardamom, black pepper, cloves, nutmeg, fennel, cumin and coriander. Garam masala is available in the spice section of most supermarkets.
Per serving: 230 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 9 g fiber; 638 mg sodium; 1014 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (89% daily value), Vitamin C (56% dv), Potassium (29% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less