Five-Spice Tilapia for Two
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Chinese five-spice powder, soy sauce and brown sugar make a quick glaze for tilapia in this easy recipe for two.
- 8 ounces tilapia fillets
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Sprinkle both sides of tilapia fillets with five-spice powder. Combine soy sauce and brown sugar in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a medium or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tilapia and cook until the outer edges are opaque, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, turn the fish over, stir the soy mixture and pour into the pan. Bring the sauce to a boil and cook until the fish is cooked through and the sauce has thickened slightly, about 2 minutes more. Add scallions and remove from the heat. Serve the fish drizzled with the pan sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Five-spice powder is a blend of cinnamon, cloves, fennel seed, star anise and Szechuan peppercorns. Look for it in the spice section at the market or with other Asian ingredients.
Per serving: 180 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 57 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 9 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 0 g fiber; 596 mg sodium; 411 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 carbohydrate (other), 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2010