Five-Spice Tilapia for Two
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Chinese five-spice powder, soy sauce and brown sugar make a quick glaze for tilapia in this easy recipe for two.
- 8 ounces tilapia fillets
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Sprinkle both sides of tilapia fillets with five-spice powder. Combine soy sauce and brown sugar in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a medium or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tilapia and cook until the outer edges are opaque, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, turn the fish over, stir the soy mixture and pour into the pan. Bring the sauce to a boil and cook until the fish is cooked through and the sauce has thickened slightly, about 2 minutes more. Add scallions and remove from the heat. Serve the fish drizzled with the pan sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Five-spice powder is a blend of cinnamon, cloves, fennel seed, star anise and Szechuan peppercorns. Look for it in the spice section at the market or with other Asian ingredients.
Per serving: 180 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 57 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 9 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 0 g fiber; 596 mg sodium; 411 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 carbohydrate (other), 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2010