From EatingWell: December 2006
You could also serve the scallops over Asian salad greens dressed with sesame oil and rice vinegar for a simple dinner.
- 1 pound large dry sea scallops, quartered (see Note)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder, (see Note)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat broiler.
- Toss scallops with oil, five-spice powder and salt. Broil on a baking sheet until cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Serve with toothpicks.
Tips & Notes
- Notes: We prefer "dry" sea scallops (not treated with sodium tripolyphosphate, or STP). Scallops treated with STP ("wet" scallops) are mushy, less flavorful and will not brown properly.
- Often a blend of cinnamon, cloves, fennel seed, star anise and Szechuan peppercorns, five-spice powder was originally considered a cure-all miracle blend encompassing the five elements (sour, bitter, sweet, pungent, salty). Look for it in the supermarket spice section.
Per serving: 61 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 19 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 0 g fiber; 164 mg sodium; 183 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Protein, magnesium, potassium, selenium.
Exchanges: 1 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 2006