From EatingWell: December 2006
You could also serve the scallops over Asian salad greens dressed with sesame oil and rice vinegar for a simple dinner.
- 1 pound large dry sea scallops, quartered (see Note)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder, (see Note)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat broiler.
- Toss scallops with oil, five-spice powder and salt. Broil on a baking sheet until cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Serve with toothpicks.
Tips & Notes
- Notes: We prefer "dry" sea scallops (not treated with sodium tripolyphosphate, or STP). Scallops treated with STP ("wet" scallops) are mushy, less flavorful and will not brown properly.
- Often a blend of cinnamon, cloves, fennel seed, star anise and Szechuan peppercorns, five-spice powder was originally considered a cure-all miracle blend encompassing the five elements (sour, bitter, sweet, pungent, salty). Look for it in the supermarket spice section.
Per serving: 61 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 19 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 0 g fiber; 164 mg sodium; 183 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Protein, magnesium, potassium, selenium.
Exchanges: 1 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 2006