From EatingWell: December 2006
You could also serve the scallops over Asian salad greens dressed with sesame oil and rice vinegar for a simple dinner.
- 1 pound large dry sea scallops, quartered (see Note)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder, (see Note)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat broiler.
- Toss scallops with oil, five-spice powder and salt. Broil on a baking sheet until cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Serve with toothpicks.
Tips & Notes
- Notes: We prefer "dry" sea scallops (not treated with sodium tripolyphosphate, or STP). Scallops treated with STP ("wet" scallops) are mushy, less flavorful and will not brown properly.
- Often a blend of cinnamon, cloves, fennel seed, star anise and Szechuan peppercorns, five-spice powder was originally considered a cure-all miracle blend encompassing the five elements (sour, bitter, sweet, pungent, salty). Look for it in the supermarket spice section.
Per serving: 61 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 19 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 0 g fiber; 164 mg sodium; 183 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Protein, magnesium, potassium, selenium.
Exchanges: 1 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 2006