Fish Stew with Olives, Capers & Potatoes
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
The olive, caper and tomato-based sauce in this healthy fish stew recipe gives this very traditional Italian dish tons of flavor. Serve with crusty bread for dipping.
- 1 1/4 pounds mahi-mahi, swordfish or halibut steaks, about 3/4 inch thick
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 6 canned plum tomatoes, drained and very coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 cup green olives, pitted
- 1/4 cup capers, preferably salt-packed, well rinsed, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced peeled yellow-fleshed potatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Pat fish dry and sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Combine tomatoes, celery, onion, olives, capers, oil, garlic and crushed red pepper in a large skillet and toss to mix well. Layer potato slices over the vegetables to cover them completely.
- Cover the skillet and place over medium-low heat. Cook, adjusting the heat to keep a steady simmer and shaking the pan from time to time—but do not stir the vegetables—until the potatoes are starting to soften, about 20 minutes.
- Place the fish on top of the potatoes, cover and continue cooking until the fish is opaque in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes more. Serve sprinkled with parsley and more capers, if desired.
Per serving: 256 calories; 13 g fat (1 g sat, 7 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g total sugars; 19 g protein; 2 g fiber; 315 mg sodium; 740 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Potassium (21% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- September/October 2014