Fish Stew with Olives, Capers & Potatoes
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
The olive, caper and tomato-based sauce in this healthy fish stew recipe gives this very traditional Italian dish tons of flavor. Serve with crusty bread for dipping.
- 1 1/4 pounds mahi-mahi, swordfish or halibut steaks, about 3/4 inch thick
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 6 canned plum tomatoes, drained and very coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 cup green olives, pitted
- 1/4 cup capers, preferably salt-packed, well rinsed, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced peeled yellow-fleshed potatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Pat fish dry and sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Combine tomatoes, celery, onion, olives, capers, oil, garlic and crushed red pepper in a large skillet and toss to mix well. Layer potato slices over the vegetables to cover them completely.
- Cover the skillet and place over medium-low heat. Cook, adjusting the heat to keep a steady simmer and shaking the pan from time to time—but do not stir the vegetables—until the potatoes are starting to soften, about 20 minutes.
- Place the fish on top of the potatoes, cover and continue cooking until the fish is opaque in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes more. Serve sprinkled with parsley and more capers, if desired.
Per serving: 256 calories; 13 g fat (1 g sat, 7 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g total sugars; 19 g protein; 2 g fiber; 315 mg sodium; 740 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Potassium (21% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2014