Fish Stew with Olives, Capers & Potatoes
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
The olive, caper and tomato-based sauce in this healthy fish stew recipe gives this very traditional Italian dish tons of flavor. Serve with crusty bread for dipping.
- 1 1/4 pounds mahi-mahi, swordfish or halibut steaks, about 3/4 inch thick
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 6 canned plum tomatoes, drained and very coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 cup green olives, pitted
- 1/4 cup capers, preferably salt-packed, well rinsed, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced peeled yellow-fleshed potatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Pat fish dry and sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Combine tomatoes, celery, onion, olives, capers, oil, garlic and crushed red pepper in a large skillet and toss to mix well. Layer potato slices over the vegetables to cover them completely.
- Cover the skillet and place over medium-low heat. Cook, adjusting the heat to keep a steady simmer and shaking the pan from time to time—but do not stir the vegetables—until the potatoes are starting to soften, about 20 minutes.
- Place the fish on top of the potatoes, cover and continue cooking until the fish is opaque in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes more. Serve sprinkled with parsley and more capers, if desired.
Per serving: 256 calories; 13 g fat (1 g sat, 7 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g total sugars; 19 g protein; 2 g fiber; 315 mg sodium; 740 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Potassium (21% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- September/October 2014