Fish Sauce with Chiles
From EatingWell: May/June 2013
Downright addictive, this spicy fish sauce recipe marries pungent fish sauce with the fire of chiles. Try it in place of plain fish sauce but use sparingly as it’s high in sodium. You can use this fish sauce immediately, but it will be very hot. As it settles over the following days the fish sauce will gradually get a little milder.
- 1/2 cup fresh bird chiles (see Tips) or serrano chiles, stemmed
- 1 cup fish sauce (see Tips)
- Chop or mince chiles with a knife or in a food processor. Be careful: you may want to wear gloves, because these chiles are hot. Wash your hands after handling them. Transfer the chiles to a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Add fish sauce, cover and shake to mix well. Store in the refrigerator.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate in an airtight jar for up to 1 month.
- Tip: Look for fiery hot Thai “bird” chiles in well-stocked supermarkets or Asian markets. If you can’t find them, serrano or jalapeño chiles can be used as a substitute.
- Tip: Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian condiment made from salted, fermented fish. Find it in the Asian-food section of well-stocked supermarkets and at Asian specialty markets. We use Thai Kitchen fish sauce, lower in sodium than other brands (1,190 mg per tablespoon), in our recipe testing and nutritional analyses.
Per teaspoon: 7 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 397 mg sodium; 2 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- May/June 2013