Fish & Mushroom Casserole with Crispy Phyllo
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
This fish and mushroom casserole recipe features a crispy phyllo topping on a hearty stew full of mushrooms and chunks of cod swimming in a rich sherry sauce. Other firm white fish work too—use whatever looks best at the seafood counter.
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds mushrooms, halved if small, quartered if larger
- 1 1/2 cups dry or cream sherry (see Tips)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 1/2 pounds cod (see Tips), skinned and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 5 sheets 14-by-18-inch phyllo dough or 10 9-by-14-inch sheets, preferably whole-wheat, thawed
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch (or similar size 3-quart) baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and celery and cook until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until they start to release their liquid, 6 to 8 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushroom liquid has evaporated, 12 to 14 minutes more.
- Whisk sherry and tomato paste together and add to the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced by about half, 5 to 7 minutes. Whisk flour and milk together and add to the pot. Reduce heat to medium and cook until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in cod, dill, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the cod is just cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Place one sheet of phyllo on a clean cutting board. (If you have smaller sheets, place two side by side.) Coat the phyllo with cooking spray. Cut into quarters. (Cut smaller sheets in half to get 4 pieces.) Using your fingertips, crumple each piece of phyllo so it resembles a little nest and place on the casserole. Repeat with the remaining phyllo, fitting the “nests” snugly together to form a tight layer. Evenly coat with cooking spray.
- Bake the casserole until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbling, 18 to 22 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3; cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Let stand uncovered at room temperature while you continue with Step 4 and preheat oven. Bake until bubbling and golden, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Tips: Skip “cooking sherry”—it is high in sodium. Instead, purchase dry sherry (or sweeter cream sherry) that’s sold with other fortified wines in your liquor store.
- For sustainably fished cod, look for wild-caught U.S. Pacific cod or Atlantic cod from Iceland and the northeast Arctic. For more information, visit seafoodwatch.org.
Per serving: 271 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 3 g fiber; 517 mg sodium; 996 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (29% daily value), Folate (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Main Ingredient
- New Year's Eve
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- September/October 2012