From EatingWell: May/June 2010
Charring fresh tomatoes and jalapeños on the grill gives this chunky pureed salsa great fire-roasted flavor. It works just as well under the broiler and even tastes delicious made with canned fire-roasted tomatoes.
- 2 large ripe tomatoes (see Canned-tomato Variation)
- 1 large jalapeño pepper
- 2 small cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat grill to high (or preheat broiler).
- Grill tomatoes and jalapeño, turning frequently, until charred, 10 minutes for the tomatoes, about 5 minutes for the jalapeño. (To broil, place on a baking sheet and broil about 4 inches from the heat, turning once or twice, until charred, 8 to 10 minutes total.)
- When cool enough to handle, core the tomatoes and remove the stem from the jalapeño. Place in a food processor along with garlic; pulse to form a chunky mixture. Season with salt to taste.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Canned-tomato Variation: No fresh tomatoes? Drain two 14-ounce cans of fire-roasted tomatoes. Roast jalapeño in a small dry skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally, until soft and blackened in spots, 10 to 15 minutes. Pulse the drained tomatoes, jalapeño and garlic in a food processor until chunky.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 10 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 148 mg sodium; 115 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: free food
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 2010