From EatingWell: May/June 2010
Charring fresh tomatoes and jalapeños on the grill gives this chunky pureed salsa great fire-roasted flavor. It works just as well under the broiler and even tastes delicious made with canned fire-roasted tomatoes.
- 2 large ripe tomatoes (see Canned-tomato Variation)
- 1 large jalapeño pepper
- 2 small cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat grill to high (or preheat broiler).
- Grill tomatoes and jalapeño, turning frequently, until charred, 10 minutes for the tomatoes, about 5 minutes for the jalapeño. (To broil, place on a baking sheet and broil about 4 inches from the heat, turning once or twice, until charred, 8 to 10 minutes total.)
- When cool enough to handle, core the tomatoes and remove the stem from the jalapeño. Place in a food processor along with garlic; pulse to form a chunky mixture. Season with salt to taste.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Canned-tomato Variation: No fresh tomatoes? Drain two 14-ounce cans of fire-roasted tomatoes. Roast jalapeño in a small dry skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally, until soft and blackened in spots, 10 to 15 minutes. Pulse the drained tomatoes, jalapeño and garlic in a food processor until chunky.
- Cut Down on Dishes: A rimmed baking sheet is great for everything from roasting to catching accidental drips and spills. For effortless cleanup and to keep your baking sheets in tip-top shape, line them with a layer of foil before each use.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 10 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 148 mg sodium; 115 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: free food
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 2010