Figs Stuffed with Gorgonzola
Gorgonzola cheese meets dried figs poached in port. The result: a thoroughly elegant holiday appetizer.
- 16 dried Mission figs, (about 8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup port
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese, (2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat cream cheese, softened (2 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 ounces sliced prosciutto, trimmed of fat
- Coarsely ground pepper, to taste
- Snip the stem off each fig and make a crisscross cut two-thirds of the way down to partially open the fig. Trim the base of each fig so it will sit upright when finished.
- Place the figs, port and vinegar in a small saucepan; cook, uncovered, over low heat, shaking the pan occasionally, until the figs are plumped and softened and most of the liquid is reduced, 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, combine Gorgonzola, cream cheese and rosemary in a small bowl; blend with a fork. Cover and refrigerate until the figs are cooled. Cut prosciutto into 1/4-inch-wide ribbons.
- Using a teaspoon, melon baller or small spoon, place a dollop of cheese mixture in the opening of each fig. Garnish each appetizer with a ribbon of prosciutto. Dust with a grinding of pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Per piece: 76 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 109 mg sodium; 98 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Entertaining, formal
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique