Figs Stuffed with Gorgonzola
Gorgonzola cheese meets dried figs poached in port. The result: a thoroughly elegant holiday appetizer.
- 16 dried Mission figs, (about 8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup port
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese, (2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat cream cheese, softened (2 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 ounces sliced prosciutto, trimmed of fat
- Coarsely ground pepper, to taste
- Snip the stem off each fig and make a crisscross cut two-thirds of the way down to partially open the fig. Trim the base of each fig so it will sit upright when finished.
- Place the figs, port and vinegar in a small saucepan; cook, uncovered, over low heat, shaking the pan occasionally, until the figs are plumped and softened and most of the liquid is reduced, 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, combine Gorgonzola, cream cheese and rosemary in a small bowl; blend with a fork. Cover and refrigerate until the figs are cooled. Cut prosciutto into 1/4-inch-wide ribbons.
- Using a teaspoon, melon baller or small spoon, place a dollop of cheese mixture in the opening of each fig. Garnish each appetizer with a ribbon of prosciutto. Dust with a grinding of pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Per piece: 76 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 109 mg sodium; 98 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, formal