Figs Stuffed with Gorgonzola
Gorgonzola cheese meets dried figs poached in port. The result: a thoroughly elegant holiday appetizer.
- 16 dried Mission figs, (about 8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup port
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese, (2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat cream cheese, softened (2 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 ounces sliced prosciutto, trimmed of fat
- Coarsely ground pepper, to taste
- Snip the stem off each fig and make a crisscross cut two-thirds of the way down to partially open the fig. Trim the base of each fig so it will sit upright when finished.
- Place the figs, port and vinegar in a small saucepan; cook, uncovered, over low heat, shaking the pan occasionally, until the figs are plumped and softened and most of the liquid is reduced, 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, combine Gorgonzola, cream cheese and rosemary in a small bowl; blend with a fork. Cover and refrigerate until the figs are cooled. Cut prosciutto into 1/4-inch-wide ribbons.
- Using a teaspoon, melon baller or small spoon, place a dollop of cheese mixture in the opening of each fig. Garnish each appetizer with a ribbon of prosciutto. Dust with a grinding of pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Per piece: 76 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 109 mg sodium; 98 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, formal
- Ease of Preparation