From EatingWell: November/December 2010
Cook the figs in this compote down until they can be spread with a knife or spoon. The compote is equally delicious as a condiment on a cheese plate, as an accompaniment for roast pork or as a spread on toast. If you’re giving this as a gift, include a card with serving suggestions.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 pounds dried Mission figs, trimmed and chopped
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup honey or lightly packed brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons aniseed or 3 whole star anise
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add figs, water, honey (or brown sugar) and aniseed (or star anise). Bring to a simmer and cook, adjusting the heat as necessary to maintain a simmer, until the figs are starting to fall apart, 2 to 2 1/4 hours.
- Let cool. Remove star anise, if using, and spoon the compote into airtight containers; refrigerate.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate in airtight containers for up to 3 weeks.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 56 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 15 mg sodium; 122 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- November/December 2010