From EatingWell: November/December 2010
Cook the figs in this compote down until they can be spread with a knife or spoon. The compote is equally delicious as a condiment on a cheese plate, as an accompaniment for roast pork or as a spread on toast. If you’re giving this as a gift, include a card with serving suggestions.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 pounds dried Mission figs, trimmed and chopped
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup honey or lightly packed brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons aniseed or 3 whole star anise
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add figs, water, honey (or brown sugar) and aniseed (or star anise). Bring to a simmer and cook, adjusting the heat as necessary to maintain a simmer, until the figs are starting to fall apart, 2 to 2 1/4 hours.
- Let cool. Remove star anise, if using, and spoon the compote into airtight containers; refrigerate.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate in airtight containers for up to 3 weeks.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 56 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 15 mg sodium; 122 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2010