From EatingWell: November/December 2010
Cook the figs in this compote down until they can be spread with a knife or spoon. The compote is equally delicious as a condiment on a cheese plate, as an accompaniment for roast pork or as a spread on toast. If you’re giving this as a gift, include a card with serving suggestions.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 pounds dried Mission figs, trimmed and chopped
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup honey or lightly packed brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons aniseed or 3 whole star anise
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add figs, water, honey (or brown sugar) and aniseed (or star anise). Bring to a simmer and cook, adjusting the heat as necessary to maintain a simmer, until the figs are starting to fall apart, 2 to 2 1/4 hours.
- Let cool. Remove star anise, if using, and spoon the compote into airtight containers; refrigerate.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate in airtight containers for up to 3 weeks.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 56 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 15 mg sodium; 122 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2010