From EatingWell: November/December 2010
Cook the figs in this compote down until they can be spread with a knife or spoon. The compote is equally delicious as a condiment on a cheese plate, as an accompaniment for roast pork or as a spread on toast. If you’re giving this as a gift, include a card with serving suggestions.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 pounds dried Mission figs, trimmed and chopped
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup honey or lightly packed brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons aniseed or 3 whole star anise
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add figs, water, honey (or brown sugar) and aniseed (or star anise). Bring to a simmer and cook, adjusting the heat as necessary to maintain a simmer, until the figs are starting to fall apart, 2 to 2 1/4 hours.
- Let cool. Remove star anise, if using, and spoon the compote into airtight containers; refrigerate.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate in airtight containers for up to 3 weeks.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 56 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 15 mg sodium; 122 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- November/December 2010