From EatingWell: November/December 2010
Cook the figs in this compote down until they can be spread with a knife or spoon. The compote is equally delicious as a condiment on a cheese plate, as an accompaniment for roast pork or as a spread on toast. If you’re giving this as a gift, include a card with serving suggestions.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 pounds dried Mission figs, trimmed and chopped
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup honey or lightly packed brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons aniseed or 3 whole star anise
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add figs, water, honey (or brown sugar) and aniseed (or star anise). Bring to a simmer and cook, adjusting the heat as necessary to maintain a simmer, until the figs are starting to fall apart, 2 to 2 1/4 hours.
- Let cool. Remove star anise, if using, and spoon the compote into airtight containers; refrigerate.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate in airtight containers for up to 3 weeks.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 56 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 15 mg sodium; 122 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2010