Fettuccine with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
Any variety of mushroom will work in this creamy vegetarian pasta sauce, but we particularly like a combination of shiitake, oyster and cremini. Adding a few wild varieties, such as chanterelle or lobster mushrooms, will make the sauce extra-special.
- 12 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 3/4 teaspoon dried
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons brandy or dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth or “no-chicken” broth
- 1/3 cup light cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package instructions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid, and return the pasta to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallot, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the shallot is light brown, 1 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in brandy (or sherry) and cook until the liquid has evaporated, about 1 minute. Sprinkle flour over the mushroom mixture and stir to coat. Pour in broth and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir in cream and 1/4 cup Parmesan.
- Stir the mushroom sauce into the drained pasta. If the sauce seems too thick, stir in some of the reserved pasta-cooking liquid to thin to desired consistency. Serve sprinkled with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan.
Per serving: 341 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 54 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 9 g fiber; 489 mg sodium; 556 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- New Year's Eve
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2010