Fettuccine with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
Any variety of mushroom will work in this creamy vegetarian pasta sauce, but we particularly like a combination of shiitake, oyster and cremini. Adding a few wild varieties, such as chanterelle or lobster mushrooms, will make the sauce extra-special.
- 12 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 3/4 teaspoon dried
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons brandy or dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth or “no-chicken” broth
- 1/3 cup light cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package instructions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid, and return the pasta to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallot, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the shallot is light brown, 1 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in brandy (or sherry) and cook until the liquid has evaporated, about 1 minute. Sprinkle flour over the mushroom mixture and stir to coat. Pour in broth and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir in cream and 1/4 cup Parmesan.
- Stir the mushroom sauce into the drained pasta. If the sauce seems too thick, stir in some of the reserved pasta-cooking liquid to thin to desired consistency. Serve sprinkled with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan.
Per serving: 341 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 54 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 9 g fiber; 489 mg sodium; 556 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- New Year's Eve
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2010