Fettuccine with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
Any variety of mushroom will work in this creamy vegetarian pasta sauce, but we particularly like a combination of shiitake, oyster and cremini. Adding a few wild varieties, such as chanterelle or lobster mushrooms, will make the sauce extra-special.
- 12 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 3/4 teaspoon dried
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons brandy or dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth or “no-chicken” broth
- 1/3 cup light cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package instructions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid, and return the pasta to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallot, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the shallot is light brown, 1 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in brandy (or sherry) and cook until the liquid has evaporated, about 1 minute. Sprinkle flour over the mushroom mixture and stir to coat. Pour in broth and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir in cream and 1/4 cup Parmesan.
- Stir the mushroom sauce into the drained pasta. If the sauce seems too thick, stir in some of the reserved pasta-cooking liquid to thin to desired consistency. Serve sprinkled with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan.
Per serving: 341 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 54 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 9 g fiber; 489 mg sodium; 556 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- New Year's Eve
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2010