Fettuccine with Shiitake Mushrooms & Basil
EatingWell reader Sidra Goldman of Washington, D.C., contributed this fresh-tasting whole-wheat pasta recipe. Lemon zest accents the basil beautifully.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine, or spaghetti (see Ingredient note)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, (1 ounce)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil, divided
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil for cooking pasta.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over low heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant but not browned, about 1 minute. Add mushrooms and increase heat to medium-high; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 9 to 11 minutes or according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
- Add the pasta, the reserved cooking liquid, Parmesan and 1/4 cup basil to the mushrooms in the skillet; toss to coat well. Serve immediately, garnished with remaining basil.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Whole-wheat pastas are higher in fiber than white pastas. They can be found in health-food stores and some large supermarkets.
Per serving: 311 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 8 g fiber; 307 mg sodium; 125 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (28% daily value), Calcium (14% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 21/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- New Year's Eve