Fettuccine with Shiitake Mushrooms & Basil
EatingWell reader Sidra Goldman of Washington, D.C., contributed this fresh-tasting whole-wheat pasta recipe. Lemon zest accents the basil beautifully.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine, or spaghetti (see Ingredient note)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, (1 ounce)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil, divided
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil for cooking pasta.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over low heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant but not browned, about 1 minute. Add mushrooms and increase heat to medium-high; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 9 to 11 minutes or according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
- Add the pasta, the reserved cooking liquid, Parmesan and 1/4 cup basil to the mushrooms in the skillet; toss to coat well. Serve immediately, garnished with remaining basil.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Whole-wheat pastas are higher in fiber than white pastas. They can be found in health-food stores and some large supermarkets.
Per serving: 311 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 8 g fiber; 307 mg sodium; 125 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (28% daily value), Calcium (14% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 21/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- New Year's Eve
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique