Creamy Fettuccine with Brussels Sprouts & Mushrooms
From EatingWell: September/October 2009
Sliced Brussels sprouts and mushrooms cook quickly and cling to the pasta in our fall version of pasta primavera. Look for presliced mushrooms to cut prep time. Serve with a tossed salad.
- 12 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups sliced mixed mushrooms, such as cremini, oyster and/or shiitake
- 4 cups thinly sliced Brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup dry sherry (see Note), or 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup finely shredded Asiago cheese, plus more for garnish
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, return to the pot and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms release their liquid, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add sherry (or vinegar), scraping up any brown bits; bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until almost evaporated, 10 seconds (if using vinegar) or about 1 minute (if using sherry).
- Whisk milk and flour in a bowl; add to the skillet with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the sauce bubbles and thickens, about 2 minutes. Stir in Asiago until melted. Add the sauce to the pasta; gently toss. Serve with more cheese, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: We prefer dry sherry, sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store, instead of higher-sodium “cooking” sherry.
Per serving: 385 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein; 10 g fiber; 438 mg sodium; 467 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (75% daily value), Calcium (28% dv), Magnesium (25% dv), Folate (19% dv), Iron (18% dv), Vitamin A (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- New Year's Eve
- September/October 2009