Here, we blend garlic-infused low-fat milk, reduced-fat cream cheese and Parmesan cheese for a low-fat Alfredo sauce to replace traditional versions made with copious amounts of butter and heavy cream. With plenty of fiber from whole-wheat pasta and only 6 grams of fat per serving, you can put Alfredo back into your pasta repertoire.
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 8 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 pound whole-wheat fettuccine
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel)
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Put a large pot of water on to boil.
- Combine milk and garlic in a heavy medium saucepan; bring to a simmer over low heat. Simmer gently until the garlic is tender and the milk has reduced to 1 1/2 cups, 15 to 25 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Puree milk and garlic in a blender until smooth. (Use caution when blending hot liquids.) Return to the pan and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Keep the sauce warm.
- Meanwhile, cook fettuccine until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a warmed large bowl.
- Whisk cream cheese and 1/2 cup Parmesan into the sauce. Add to the fettuccine and toss well. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately, passing the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan separately.
Per serving: 361 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 63 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein; 10 g fiber; 413 mg sodium; 210 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (83% daily value), Magnesium (28% dv), Calcium (26% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1/2 low-fat milk, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less