Here, we blend garlic-infused low-fat milk, reduced-fat cream cheese and Parmesan cheese for a low-fat Alfredo sauce to replace traditional versions made with copious amounts of butter and heavy cream. With plenty of fiber from whole-wheat pasta and only 6 grams of fat per serving, you can put Alfredo back into your pasta repertoire.
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 8 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 pound whole-wheat fettuccine
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel)
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Put a large pot of water on to boil.
- Combine milk and garlic in a heavy medium saucepan; bring to a simmer over low heat. Simmer gently until the garlic is tender and the milk has reduced to 1 1/2 cups, 15 to 25 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Puree milk and garlic in a blender until smooth. (Use caution when blending hot liquids.) Return to the pan and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Keep the sauce warm.
- Meanwhile, cook fettuccine until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a warmed large bowl.
- Whisk cream cheese and 1/2 cup Parmesan into the sauce. Add to the fettuccine and toss well. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately, passing the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan separately.
Per serving: 361 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 63 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein; 10 g fiber; 413 mg sodium; 210 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (83% daily value), Magnesium (28% dv), Calcium (26% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1/2 low-fat milk, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less