Here, we blend garlic-infused low-fat milk, reduced-fat cream cheese and Parmesan cheese for a low-fat Alfredo sauce to replace traditional versions made with copious amounts of butter and heavy cream. With plenty of fiber from whole-wheat pasta and only 6 grams of fat per serving, you can put Alfredo back into your pasta repertoire.
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 8 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 pound whole-wheat fettuccine
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel)
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Put a large pot of water on to boil.
- Combine milk and garlic in a heavy medium saucepan; bring to a simmer over low heat. Simmer gently until the garlic is tender and the milk has reduced to 1 1/2 cups, 15 to 25 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Puree milk and garlic in a blender until smooth. (Use caution when blending hot liquids.) Return to the pan and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Keep the sauce warm.
- Meanwhile, cook fettuccine until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a warmed large bowl.
- Whisk cream cheese and 1/2 cup Parmesan into the sauce. Add to the fettuccine and toss well. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately, passing the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan separately.
Per serving: 361 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 63 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein; 10 g fiber; 413 mg sodium; 210 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (83% daily value), Magnesium (28% dv), Calcium (26% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1/2 low-fat milk, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less