Feta, Corn & Chicken Salad with Smoky Tomato Dressing
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
This hearty chicken salad recipe is full of grilled sweet corn, scallions, salty feta, escarole, pine nuts and spicy chicken. Smoked paprika gives the tomato dressing a bacon-like flavor.
- 1 large head escarole
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (see Tips), divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 ears corn, husked
- 2 bunches scallions, trimmed
- 2 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar or red-wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta or Cotija cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted (see Tips)
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Leaving root ends intact, quarter escarole lengthwise; brush with 1 tablespoon oil. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon each paprika and salt.
- Take the escarole, chicken, corn, scallions and tomatoes out to the grill. Oil the grill rack (see Tips). Place escarole and scallions on the grill. Grill, turning occasionally, until charred in spots: 2 to 4 minutes for the scallions, 3 to 4 minutes for the escarole. Transfer to a plate. Place the chicken, corn and tomatoes on the grill, with the chicken on the hottest part and the tomatoes skin-side down. Grill the chicken, turning occasionally, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 165°F, 8 to 16 minutes total. Grill the corn, turning occasionally, until tender, 8 to 12 minutes. Grill the tomatoes, turning once, until charred in spots, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Place the tomatoes in a blender; add garlic, vinegar, the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each paprika and salt. Puree until smooth.
- Cut off the root ends of the escarole; coarsely chop the leaves and put in a large bowl. Cut the corn kernels off the cobs and coarsely chop the scallions; add to the bowl. Toss the salad with 1/2 cup of the dressing. Divide among 4 plates. Thinly slice the chicken and divide among the salads. Drizzle with the remaining dressing and sprinkle with cheese and pine nuts.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: Smoked paprika is made from smoke-dried red peppers and adds earthy, smoky flavor to food. Look for different types of paprika: sweet, bitter sweet and hot at well-stocked supermarkets, gourmet markets or online at tienda.com.
- Toast chopped or sliced nuts in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes. Spread whole nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
- Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to coat the food with cooking spray.
Per serving: 498 calories; 27 g fat (7 g sat, 11 g mono); 104 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 39 g protein; 8 g fiber; 726 mg sodium; 1150 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (78% daily value), Folate (68% dv), Vitamin C (46% dv), Potassium (33% dv), Magnesium (30% dv), Calcium (26% dv), Zinc (27% dv), Iron (22% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 4 1/2 lean meat, 3 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2012