From EatingWell: November/December 1993
Chilies, cranberries, kumquats and fresh mint add festive color and flavor to your favorite black and green olives.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 7 dried hot red chiles,divided
- 1 pound imported black olives packed in brine, undrained
- 1 pound imported green olives packed in brine, undrained
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 cup kumquats, stem ends removed, sliced into 1/4 -inch-thick rounds (6 ounces)
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, slivered
- Heat oil in a small skillet over low heat. Add garlic cloves and 3 chiles; cook until the garlic is golden, about 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Discard the garlic and chiles, reserving the oil.
- Gently stir together olives with brine, cranberries, kumquats, mint and the infused oil in a large bowl. Divide the olive mixture among four 1-pint sterilized jars, making sure that the olives are covered with liquid. Place 1 chile in each jar. Close lids and refrigerate for at least 1 week. Before serving, allow the mixture to come to room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 months.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 74 calories; 6 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 349 mg sodium; 109 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (17% daily value).
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- November/December 1993