From EatingWell: November/December 1993
Chilies, cranberries, kumquats and fresh mint add festive color and flavor to your favorite black and green olives.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 7 dried hot red chiles,divided
- 1 pound imported black olives packed in brine, undrained
- 1 pound imported green olives packed in brine, undrained
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 cup kumquats, stem ends removed, sliced into 1/4 -inch-thick rounds (6 ounces)
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, slivered
- Heat oil in a small skillet over low heat. Add garlic cloves and 3 chiles; cook until the garlic is golden, about 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Discard the garlic and chiles, reserving the oil.
- Gently stir together olives with brine, cranberries, kumquats, mint and the infused oil in a large bowl. Divide the olive mixture among four 1-pint sterilized jars, making sure that the olives are covered with liquid. Place 1 chile in each jar. Close lids and refrigerate for at least 1 week. Before serving, allow the mixture to come to room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 months.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 74 calories; 6 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 349 mg sodium; 109 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (17% daily value).
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Middle Eastern
- November/December 1993