From EatingWell: November/December 1993
Chilies, cranberries, kumquats and fresh mint add festive color and flavor to your favorite black and green olives.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 7 dried hot red chiles,divided
- 1 pound imported black olives packed in brine, undrained
- 1 pound imported green olives packed in brine, undrained
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 cup kumquats, stem ends removed, sliced into 1/4 -inch-thick rounds (6 ounces)
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, slivered
- Heat oil in a small skillet over low heat. Add garlic cloves and 3 chiles; cook until the garlic is golden, about 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Discard the garlic and chiles, reserving the oil.
- Gently stir together olives with brine, cranberries, kumquats, mint and the infused oil in a large bowl. Divide the olive mixture among four 1-pint sterilized jars, making sure that the olives are covered with liquid. Place 1 chile in each jar. Close lids and refrigerate for at least 1 week. Before serving, allow the mixture to come to room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 months.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 74 calories; 6 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 349 mg sodium; 109 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (17% daily value).
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Middle Eastern
- November/December 1993