Festive Fruit & Nut Balls
From EatingWell: December 2006
A no-bake, make-ahead treat, this perfect combination of fruit and nuts is a nutritious and delicious mouthful. Rolling them in shredded coconut gives them their festive look.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pitted and snipped dates
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup chopped pistachios, preferably unsalted
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- Combine sugar, cranberries, dates and eggs in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens, is pale yellow in color, registers at least 170°F on an instant-read thermometer and when a spoon is pulled through it, it leaves a clear trail. This will take 6 to 14 minutes, depending on how hot your stove's "medium-low" setting is.
- Remove from the heat; stir in pistachios, walnuts, pecans and rum extract. Let stand until cool enough to handle, about 45 minutes.
- With damp or lightly oiled hands, form the mixture into 1-inch balls (about 1 generous teaspoon each). Roll each ball in coconut. Place the finished balls on a baking sheet lined with wax paper and store in the refrigerator.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Place on wax paper; store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
Per cookie: 64 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 9 mg sodium; 49 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, bars & cookies
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- December 2006