Fennel, Watercress & Red Onion Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 1995
A citrusy dressing unites the distinctive flavors in this very pretty salad.
- Grated zest of 1 orange, (1 tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, preferably kosher
- Pinch of ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small fennel bulb, white part only, quartered, cored and very thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 1 bunch watercress, washed and trimmed to leave about 3 inches of stem (3 cups)
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- Combine orange zest and juice, lime juice, shallot, salt and white pepper in a small bowl; whisk in oil.
- Put fennel, watercress and onion in a serving bowl, add the dressing and toss well.
Per serving: 100 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 182 mg sodium; 391 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (46% daily value), Vitamin A (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- May/June 1995