Fennel, Watercress & Red Onion Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 1995
A citrusy dressing unites the distinctive flavors in this very pretty salad.
- Grated zest of 1 orange, (1 tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, preferably kosher
- Pinch of ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small fennel bulb, white part only, quartered, cored and very thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 1 bunch watercress, washed and trimmed to leave about 3 inches of stem (3 cups)
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- Combine orange zest and juice, lime juice, shallot, salt and white pepper in a small bowl; whisk in oil.
- Put fennel, watercress and onion in a serving bowl, add the dressing and toss well.
Per serving: 100 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 182 mg sodium; 391 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (46% daily value), Vitamin A (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 1995