Fennel, Watercress & Red Onion Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 1995
A citrusy dressing unites the distinctive flavors in this very pretty salad.
- Grated zest of 1 orange, (1 tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, preferably kosher
- Pinch of ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small fennel bulb, white part only, quartered, cored and very thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 1 bunch watercress, washed and trimmed to leave about 3 inches of stem (3 cups)
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- Combine orange zest and juice, lime juice, shallot, salt and white pepper in a small bowl; whisk in oil.
- Put fennel, watercress and onion in a serving bowl, add the dressing and toss well.
Per serving: 100 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 182 mg sodium; 391 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (46% daily value), Vitamin A (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- May/June 1995