Fennel, Watercress & Red Onion Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 1995
A citrusy dressing unites the distinctive flavors in this very pretty salad.
- Grated zest of 1 orange, (1 tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, preferably kosher
- Pinch of ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small fennel bulb, white part only, quartered, cored and very thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 1 bunch watercress, washed and trimmed to leave about 3 inches of stem (3 cups)
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- Combine orange zest and juice, lime juice, shallot, salt and white pepper in a small bowl; whisk in oil.
- Put fennel, watercress and onion in a serving bowl, add the dressing and toss well.
Per serving: 100 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 182 mg sodium; 391 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (46% daily value), Vitamin A (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1995