Fennel Sauerkraut with Turkey Sausage & Potatoes
Inspired by the Alsatian classic choucroute garni, this comforting one-pot meal takes a shortcut with already-cooked potatoes (look in the refrigerated section of the produce and/or dairy department of the market) and preshredded cabbage. Serve with additional mustard.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage links
- 1 10-ounce package shredded cabbage, preferably “angel hair” style
- 1 large bulb fennel, quartered, cored and thinly sliced, plus 3 tablespoons chopped feathery fronds
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 16-ounce package precooked diced red potatoes
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown or whole-grain mustard
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, turning often, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and slice into 1/2-inch pieces. (The sausage will not be thoroughly cooked, but will continue cooking later.)
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add cabbage, sliced fennel, onion, garlic powder, fennel seed and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the cabbage has wilted slightly, about 3 minutes. Add potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are heated through, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add broth, vinegar and mustard and stir until the mustard is incorporated; bring to a simmer. Place the sausage on top of the cabbage mixture, cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the sausage is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in chopped fennel fronds and serve.
Per serving: 254 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 46 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 4 g fiber; 667 mg sodium; 310 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Fiber (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1.5 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique