Fennel Sauerkraut with Turkey Sausage & Potatoes
Inspired by the Alsatian classic choucroute garni, this comforting one-pot meal takes a shortcut with already-cooked potatoes (look in the refrigerated section of the produce and/or dairy department of the market) and preshredded cabbage. Serve with additional mustard.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage links
- 1 10-ounce package shredded cabbage, preferably “angel hair” style
- 1 large bulb fennel, quartered, cored and thinly sliced, plus 3 tablespoons chopped feathery fronds
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 16-ounce package precooked diced red potatoes
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown or whole-grain mustard
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, turning often, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and slice into 1/2-inch pieces. (The sausage will not be thoroughly cooked, but will continue cooking later.)
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add cabbage, sliced fennel, onion, garlic powder, fennel seed and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the cabbage has wilted slightly, about 3 minutes. Add potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are heated through, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add broth, vinegar and mustard and stir until the mustard is incorporated; bring to a simmer. Place the sausage on top of the cabbage mixture, cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the sausage is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in chopped fennel fronds and serve.
Per serving: 254 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 46 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 4 g fiber; 667 mg sodium; 310 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Fiber (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1.5 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique