Fennel Sauerkraut with Turkey Sausage & Potatoes
Inspired by the Alsatian classic choucroute garni, this comforting one-pot meal takes a shortcut with already-cooked potatoes (look in the refrigerated section of the produce and/or dairy department of the market) and preshredded cabbage. Serve with additional mustard.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage links
- 1 10-ounce package shredded cabbage, preferably “angel hair” style
- 1 large bulb fennel, quartered, cored and thinly sliced, plus 3 tablespoons chopped feathery fronds
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 16-ounce package precooked diced red potatoes
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown or whole-grain mustard
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, turning often, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and slice into 1/2-inch pieces. (The sausage will not be thoroughly cooked, but will continue cooking later.)
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add cabbage, sliced fennel, onion, garlic powder, fennel seed and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the cabbage has wilted slightly, about 3 minutes. Add potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are heated through, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add broth, vinegar and mustard and stir until the mustard is incorporated; bring to a simmer. Place the sausage on top of the cabbage mixture, cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the sausage is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in chopped fennel fronds and serve.
Per serving: 254 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 46 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 4 g fiber; 667 mg sodium; 310 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Fiber (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1.5 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique