Fennel Sauerkraut with Turkey Sausage & Potatoes
Inspired by the Alsatian classic choucroute garni, this comforting one-pot meal takes a shortcut with already-cooked potatoes (look in the refrigerated section of the produce and/or dairy department of the market) and preshredded cabbage. Serve with additional mustard.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage links
- 1 10-ounce package shredded cabbage, preferably “angel hair” style
- 1 large bulb fennel, quartered, cored and thinly sliced, plus 3 tablespoons chopped feathery fronds
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 16-ounce package precooked diced red potatoes
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown or whole-grain mustard
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, turning often, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and slice into 1/2-inch pieces. (The sausage will not be thoroughly cooked, but will continue cooking later.)
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add cabbage, sliced fennel, onion, garlic powder, fennel seed and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the cabbage has wilted slightly, about 3 minutes. Add potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are heated through, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add broth, vinegar and mustard and stir until the mustard is incorporated; bring to a simmer. Place the sausage on top of the cabbage mixture, cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the sausage is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in chopped fennel fronds and serve.
Per serving: 254 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 46 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 4 g fiber; 667 mg sodium; 310 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Fiber (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1.5 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique