Fennel, Porcini & Chicken Cacciatore
From EatingWell: October/November 2006
Dried porcini give an earthy, punch to this Italian classic. Although it tastes great hot from the oven, the fennel-and-mushroom combination mellows beautifully overnight.
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, (about 3 pounds), trimmed of fat
- 2 green Italian frying peppers (Cubanelles) or 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and cut into rings
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 large fennel bulb (1 pound), trimmed, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place mushrooms in a large bowl, pour boiling water over them and let soak.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large, high-sided skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Working in batches, brown chicken on all sides, turning occasionally, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- Reduce heat to medium and add peppers and onion to the pan; cook, stirring often, until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in fennel; continue cooking, stirring often, until wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, rosemary, orange zest and thyme; cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Pour in vinegar and cook for 1 minute, stirring and scraping up any browned bits. Remove from the heat.
- Drain the mushrooms in a fine sieve lined with a paper towel; reserve the soaking liquid. Rinse the mushrooms, then coarsely chop. Stir them into the pan along with the soaking liquid, wine, tomato paste and salt. Return to the heat, bring to a simmer, then pour the mixture over the chicken. Cover the baking dish with foil.
- Bake the cacciatore until bubbling, about 45 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving (or follow make-ahead instructions).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Bake, let cool for 1 hour, cover with foil and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat, covered, in a preheated 350°F oven for 45 minutes.
- Ingredient note: Like fresh mushrooms, dried have a shelf life. When purchasing them, look for whole mushrooms in the package without a lot of powdery dust or spiky shards; the color should be uniformly brown. Porcini can also be purchased online from Oregon Mushrooms at oregonmushrooms.com.
Per serving: 337 calories; 16 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 113 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 33 g protein; 3 g fiber; 450 mg sodium; 589 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value), Selenium (31% dv), Zinc (23% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Make ahead instructions
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- October/November 2006
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)