Fennel & Orange Salad with Toasted Pistachios
From EatingWell: February/March 2005
For this elegant salad, sweet-tasting fennel bulbs are thinly sliced and tossed with salty toasted pistachios, sweet oranges and tangy lime juice. Jícama or radishes add another layer of texture and earthy flavor.
- 2 navel oranges, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 small bulb fennel, quartered, cored and very thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 cup very thinly sliced radishes, (about 8 radishes) or diced peeled jícama (see Note)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, or pistachio oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 tablespoons shelled salted pistachio nuts, toasted and chopped
- Combine orange slices, fennel, radishes (or jicama), cilantro, oil, lime juice, salt and pepper in a bowl. Gently toss to mix. Just before serving, sprinkle nuts over the salad.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Jícama is a round root vegetable with thin brown skin and white crunchy flesh. It has a slightly sweet and nutty flavor.
Per serving: 183 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 179 mg sodium; 491 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (85% daily value), Copper (12% dv), Magnesium (8% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- February/March 2005