Fennel & Orange Salad with Toasted Pistachios
From EatingWell: February/March 2005
For this elegant salad, sweet-tasting fennel bulbs are thinly sliced and tossed with salty toasted pistachios, sweet oranges and tangy lime juice. Jícama or radishes add another layer of texture and earthy flavor.
- 2 navel oranges, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 small bulb fennel, quartered, cored and very thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 cup very thinly sliced radishes, (about 8 radishes) or diced peeled jícama (see Note)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, or pistachio oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 tablespoons shelled salted pistachio nuts, toasted and chopped
- Combine orange slices, fennel, radishes (or jicama), cilantro, oil, lime juice, salt and pepper in a bowl. Gently toss to mix. Just before serving, sprinkle nuts over the salad.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Jícama is a round root vegetable with thin brown skin and white crunchy flesh. It has a slightly sweet and nutty flavor.
Per serving: 183 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 179 mg sodium; 491 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (85% daily value), Copper (12% dv), Magnesium (8% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- February/March 2005