Fennel & Orange Salad with Toasted Pistachios
From EatingWell: February/March 2005
For this elegant salad, sweet-tasting fennel bulbs are thinly sliced and tossed with salty toasted pistachios, sweet oranges and tangy lime juice. Jícama or radishes add another layer of texture and earthy flavor.
- 2 navel oranges, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 small bulb fennel, quartered, cored and very thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 cup very thinly sliced radishes, (about 8 radishes) or diced peeled jícama (see Note)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, or pistachio oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 tablespoons shelled salted pistachio nuts, toasted and chopped
- Combine orange slices, fennel, radishes (or jicama), cilantro, oil, lime juice, salt and pepper in a bowl. Gently toss to mix. Just before serving, sprinkle nuts over the salad.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Jícama is a round root vegetable with thin brown skin and white crunchy flesh. It has a slightly sweet and nutty flavor.
Per serving: 183 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 179 mg sodium; 491 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (85% daily value), Copper (12% dv), Magnesium (8% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- February/March 2005