Fennel & Lemon Green Bean Salad
The Italians often enjoy fennel the way North Americans eat celery: raw in salads. This salad is aromatic and crisp with a fresh lemon dressing.
- 4 ounces fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 bulbs fresh fennel
- 4 ounces mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
- 1 2-by-1/2-inch strip lemon zest, julienned
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Steam beans for 3 to 5 minutes, or until tender-crisp. Rinse under cold water. Place them in a salad bowl.
- Trim fennel leaves, reserving 2 Tbsp. minced leaves. Slice the stalks. Quarter bulb lengthwise, remove core and thinly slice. Add to the salad bowl along with mushrooms and lemon zest. Whisk vinegar, water, lemon juice and oil in a small bowl until well blended. Pour the dressing over the salad and add the reserved fennel leaves. Toss lightly. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Per serving: 83 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 6 g fiber; 85 mg sodium; 753 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation