Fennel & Lemon Green Bean Salad
The Italians often enjoy fennel the way North Americans eat celery: raw in salads. This salad is aromatic and crisp with a fresh lemon dressing.
- 4 ounces fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 bulbs fresh fennel
- 4 ounces mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
- 1 2-by-1/2-inch strip lemon zest, julienned
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Steam beans for 3 to 5 minutes, or until tender-crisp. Rinse under cold water. Place them in a salad bowl.
- Trim fennel leaves, reserving 2 Tbsp. minced leaves. Slice the stalks. Quarter bulb lengthwise, remove core and thinly slice. Add to the salad bowl along with mushrooms and lemon zest. Whisk vinegar, water, lemon juice and oil in a small bowl until well blended. Pour the dressing over the salad and add the reserved fennel leaves. Toss lightly. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Per serving: 83 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 6 g fiber; 85 mg sodium; 753 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique