Fennel à la Grecque
From EatingWell: May/June 1994
Here fennel is cooked in the traditional French technique, a la grecque, which is a term for cooking vegetables in an infusion of herbs, spices and lemon.
- 1/4 cup whole coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 4 large sprigs fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 4 large sprigs fresh parsley
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, cut in half lengthwise and sliced, divided
- 6 large bulbs fennel, trimmed and cut into wedges, divided, plus 2 tablespoons chopped fennel fronds for garnish
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Tie coriander seeds, peppercorns, thyme, parsley and bay leaves together in a piece of cheesecloth. Whisk together broth, wine, lemon juice, tomato paste and water in a medium bowl.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add half the onion and half the fennel; cook, stirring, until the vegetables are limp and starting to color, about 10 minutes. Pour in half the broth mixture, tuck the spice bag into the vegetables and bring the liquid to a boil. Cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until the fennel is tender and the sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer the mixture to a large bowl, reserving the spice bag.
- Wipe out the pan, pour in the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and repeat the above steps with the remaining ingredients. Let cool and discard spice bag. Serve at room temperature, garnished with chopped fennel fronds.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Return to room temperature before serving.
Per serving: 68 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 113 mg sodium; 516 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value), Potassium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- May/June 1994