Fennel à la Grecque
From EatingWell: May/June 1994
Here fennel is cooked in the traditional French technique, a la grecque, which is a term for cooking vegetables in an infusion of herbs, spices and lemon.
- 1/4 cup whole coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 4 large sprigs fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 4 large sprigs fresh parsley
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, cut in half lengthwise and sliced, divided
- 6 large bulbs fennel, trimmed and cut into wedges, divided, plus 2 tablespoons chopped fennel fronds for garnish
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Tie coriander seeds, peppercorns, thyme, parsley and bay leaves together in a piece of cheesecloth. Whisk together broth, wine, lemon juice, tomato paste and water in a medium bowl.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add half the onion and half the fennel; cook, stirring, until the vegetables are limp and starting to color, about 10 minutes. Pour in half the broth mixture, tuck the spice bag into the vegetables and bring the liquid to a boil. Cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until the fennel is tender and the sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer the mixture to a large bowl, reserving the spice bag.
- Wipe out the pan, pour in the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and repeat the above steps with the remaining ingredients. Let cool and discard spice bag. Serve at room temperature, garnished with chopped fennel fronds.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Return to room temperature before serving.
Per serving: 68 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 113 mg sodium; 516 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value), Potassium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1994