Fennel à la Grecque
From EatingWell: May/June 1994
Here fennel is cooked in the traditional French technique, a la grecque, which is a term for cooking vegetables in an infusion of herbs, spices and lemon.
- 1/4 cup whole coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 4 large sprigs fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 4 large sprigs fresh parsley
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, cut in half lengthwise and sliced, divided
- 6 large bulbs fennel, trimmed and cut into wedges, divided, plus 2 tablespoons chopped fennel fronds for garnish
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Tie coriander seeds, peppercorns, thyme, parsley and bay leaves together in a piece of cheesecloth. Whisk together broth, wine, lemon juice, tomato paste and water in a medium bowl.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add half the onion and half the fennel; cook, stirring, until the vegetables are limp and starting to color, about 10 minutes. Pour in half the broth mixture, tuck the spice bag into the vegetables and bring the liquid to a boil. Cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until the fennel is tender and the sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer the mixture to a large bowl, reserving the spice bag.
- Wipe out the pan, pour in the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and repeat the above steps with the remaining ingredients. Let cool and discard spice bag. Serve at room temperature, garnished with chopped fennel fronds.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Return to room temperature before serving.
Per serving: 68 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 113 mg sodium; 516 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value), Potassium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1994