Fennel à la Grecque
From EatingWell: May/June 1994
Here fennel is cooked in the traditional French technique, a la grecque, which is a term for cooking vegetables in an infusion of herbs, spices and lemon.
- 1/4 cup whole coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 4 large sprigs fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 4 large sprigs fresh parsley
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, cut in half lengthwise and sliced, divided
- 6 large bulbs fennel, trimmed and cut into wedges, divided, plus 2 tablespoons chopped fennel fronds for garnish
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Tie coriander seeds, peppercorns, thyme, parsley and bay leaves together in a piece of cheesecloth. Whisk together broth, wine, lemon juice, tomato paste and water in a medium bowl.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add half the onion and half the fennel; cook, stirring, until the vegetables are limp and starting to color, about 10 minutes. Pour in half the broth mixture, tuck the spice bag into the vegetables and bring the liquid to a boil. Cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until the fennel is tender and the sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer the mixture to a large bowl, reserving the spice bag.
- Wipe out the pan, pour in the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and repeat the above steps with the remaining ingredients. Let cool and discard spice bag. Serve at room temperature, garnished with chopped fennel fronds.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Return to room temperature before serving.
Per serving: 68 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 113 mg sodium; 516 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value), Potassium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1994