From EatingWell: January/February 1996
Topped with Parmesan and breadcrumbs, this simple fennel gratin is a tasty accompaniment to most any roast meat. Make it a meal: Try this gratin with Bistro Beef Tenderloin and Potato Galette.
- 5 medium fennel bulbs, (about 1 1/4 pounds each)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon anise-flavored liqueur, such as Pernod or ouzo (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 1 1/2-quart gratin dish or other shallow baking dish with cooking spray.
- Trim off stalks and tough outer layers from fennel. Cut the bulbs in half lengthwise. Then cut each half into 4 wedges. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fennel and cook, stirring occasionally, until it begins to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute more. Pour in broth, lemon juice and anise liqueur (if using); cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is reduced by half, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to the prepared dish. Bake, uncovered, until the fennel is very tender, about 45 minutes. Combine Parmesan and breadcrumbs; sprinkle over the fennel. Bake until the top is golden, about 10 minutes longer.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 150 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 6 g fiber; 426 mg sodium; 838 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (42% daily value), Potassium (24% dv), Calcium & Folate (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- January/February 1996