Fennel, Citrus & Roasted Beet Salad
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
The sweetness of the roasted beets works well with tart grapefruit in this healthy beet salad recipe. Turn this beet salad into an entree by adding seared scallops or white fish, such as halibut or cod. (Recipe & photo by Aran Goyoaga; used by permission.)
- 2 small-to-medium golden beets
- 2 small-to-medium red beets
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro, plus whole leaves and flowers or fennel fronds for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium pink or red grapefruit
- 1 medium navel orange
- 1 medium bulb fennel, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachios
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Wrap beets in foil and bake until tender when pierced with a knife, 40 minutes to 1 hour. When cool enough to handle, peel, trim and cut into wedges.
- Whisk oil, mustard, vinegar, chopped cilantro, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Slice both ends off grapefruit. With a sharp knife, remove the peel and white pith; discard. Working over the bowl, cut the segments from their surrounding membranes. (Discard membranes). Repeat with orange. Add fennel and the beets. Toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes. Serve topped with pistachios and cilantro leaves and flowers or fennel fronds, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Roast beets (Steps 1-2), peel and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature before adding to salad.
Per serving: 239 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 12 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 13 g total sugars; 4 g protein; 6 g fiber; 434 mg sodium; 703 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (84% daily value), Folate (31% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Vitamin A (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- January/February 2014