Fennel, Citrus & Roasted Beet Salad
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
The sweetness of the roasted beets works well with tart grapefruit in this healthy beet salad recipe. Turn this beet salad into an entree by adding seared scallops or white fish, such as halibut or cod.
- 2 small-to-medium golden beets
- 2 small-to-medium red beets
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro, plus whole leaves and flowers or fennel fronds for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium pink or red grapefruit
- 1 medium navel orange
- 1 medium bulb fennel, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachios
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Wrap beets in foil and bake until tender when pierced with a knife, 40 minutes to 1 hour. When cool enough to handle, peel, trim and cut into wedges.
- Whisk oil, mustard, vinegar, chopped cilantro, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Slice both ends off grapefruit. With a sharp knife, remove the peel and white pith; discard. Working over the bowl, cut the segments from their surrounding membranes. (Discard membranes). Repeat with orange. Add fennel and the beets. Toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes. Serve topped with pistachios and cilantro leaves and flowers or fennel fronds, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Roast beets (Steps 1-2), peel and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature before adding to salad.
Per serving: 239 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 12 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 13 g total sugars; 4 g protein; 6 g fiber; 434 mg sodium; 703 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (84% daily value), Folate (31% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Vitamin A (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2014