Fennel, Citrus & Roasted Beet Salad
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
The sweetness of the roasted beets works well with tart grapefruit in this healthy beet salad recipe. Turn this beet salad into an entree by adding seared scallops or white fish, such as halibut or cod. (Recipe & photo by Aran Goyoaga; used by permission.)
- 2 small-to-medium golden beets
- 2 small-to-medium red beets
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro, plus whole leaves and flowers or fennel fronds for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium pink or red grapefruit
- 1 medium navel orange
- 1 medium bulb fennel, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachios
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Wrap beets in foil and bake until tender when pierced with a knife, 40 minutes to 1 hour. When cool enough to handle, peel, trim and cut into wedges.
- Whisk oil, mustard, vinegar, chopped cilantro, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Slice both ends off grapefruit. With a sharp knife, remove the peel and white pith; discard. Working over the bowl, cut the segments from their surrounding membranes. (Discard membranes). Repeat with orange. Add fennel and the beets. Toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes. Serve topped with pistachios and cilantro leaves and flowers or fennel fronds, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Roast beets (Steps 1-2), peel and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature before adding to salad.
Per serving: 239 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 12 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 13 g total sugars; 4 g protein; 6 g fiber; 434 mg sodium; 703 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (84% daily value), Folate (31% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Vitamin A (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2014