Fennel, Citrus & Roasted Beet Salad
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
The sweetness of the roasted beets works well with tart grapefruit in this healthy beet salad recipe. Turn this beet salad into an entree by adding seared scallops or white fish, such as halibut or cod. (Recipe & photo by Aran Goyoaga; used by permission.)
- 2 small-to-medium golden beets
- 2 small-to-medium red beets
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro, plus whole leaves and flowers or fennel fronds for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium pink or red grapefruit
- 1 medium navel orange
- 1 medium bulb fennel, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachios
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Wrap beets in foil and bake until tender when pierced with a knife, 40 minutes to 1 hour. When cool enough to handle, peel, trim and cut into wedges.
- Whisk oil, mustard, vinegar, chopped cilantro, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Slice both ends off grapefruit. With a sharp knife, remove the peel and white pith; discard. Working over the bowl, cut the segments from their surrounding membranes. (Discard membranes). Repeat with orange. Add fennel and the beets. Toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes. Serve topped with pistachios and cilantro leaves and flowers or fennel fronds, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Roast beets (Steps 1-2), peel and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature before adding to salad.
Per serving: 239 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 12 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 13 g total sugars; 4 g protein; 6 g fiber; 434 mg sodium; 703 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (84% daily value), Folate (31% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Vitamin A (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- January/February 2014