Fennel, Citrus & Roasted Beet Salad
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
The sweetness of the roasted beets works well with tart grapefruit in this healthy beet salad recipe. Turn this beet salad into an entree by adding seared scallops or white fish, such as halibut or cod. (Recipe & photo by Aran Goyoaga; used by permission.)
- 2 small-to-medium golden beets
- 2 small-to-medium red beets
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro, plus whole leaves and flowers or fennel fronds for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium pink or red grapefruit
- 1 medium navel orange
- 1 medium bulb fennel, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachios
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Wrap beets in foil and bake until tender when pierced with a knife, 40 minutes to 1 hour. When cool enough to handle, peel, trim and cut into wedges.
- Whisk oil, mustard, vinegar, chopped cilantro, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Slice both ends off grapefruit. With a sharp knife, remove the peel and white pith; discard. Working over the bowl, cut the segments from their surrounding membranes. (Discard membranes). Repeat with orange. Add fennel and the beets. Toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes. Serve topped with pistachios and cilantro leaves and flowers or fennel fronds, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Roast beets (Steps 1-2), peel and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature before adding to salad.
Per serving: 239 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 12 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 13 g total sugars; 4 g protein; 6 g fiber; 434 mg sodium; 703 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (84% daily value), Folate (31% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Vitamin A (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2014