Fennel & Chicken Flatbread
Here's an easy, new take on pizza: pita rounds that hold a fennel and chicken saute and that are then baked until the cheesy topping melts. Although great warm, they're just like pizza: a fabulous lunch out of the fridge the next day.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bulb fennel, quartered, cored and thinly sliced, plus 1 tablespoon chopped feathery tops for garnish
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, very thinly sliced crosswise
- 4 6-1/2-inch whole-wheat pitas, or eight 4-inch whole-wheat pitas
- 1 cup shredded provolone cheese
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add fennel and bell pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add chicken and cook another 5 minutes, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through.
- Place pitas on a baking sheet and top each with an equal portion of the chicken and vegetable mixture; sprinkle with cheese and pepper. Bake until the cheese melts and turns golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped fennel tops and serve warm.
Per serving (6 1/2-inch pita): 447 calories; 13 g fat (6 g sat, 4 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 10 g fiber; 660 mg sodium; 416 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (160% daily value), Vitamin A (35% dv), Calcium (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 medium fat meats
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)