Toasting the pita adds crunch to this bright-tasting salad, and a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of ground sumac—the berry of a bush that grows wild all over Lebanon—add depth. Letting the salad sit for a bit before eating allows the pita to soak up the lemony dressing.
- 2 6-inch whole-wheat pitas,split
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground sumac, (see note), divided
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 small salad cucumbers, or 1 large cucumber, seeded and diced (peeled if desired)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place pita halves rough-side up on a large baking sheet. Brush with 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sumac. Bake until the pita halves are golden and crisp, about 15 minutes. When cool, break into bite-size pieces.
- Whisk lemon juice, salt, pepper and the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and 1/4 teaspoon sumac in a large bowl. Add lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, mint and the pita pieces; toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Note: The tart berries of the sumac bush add another element to many Middle Eastern dishes. Find them whole or ground in Middle Eastern markets or online at kalustyans.com or lebaneseproducts.com.
Per serving: 136 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 269 mg sodium; 387 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (90% daily value), Vitamin C (46% dv), Folate (29% dv), Selenium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique