Toasting the pita adds crunch to this bright-tasting salad, and a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of ground sumac—the berry of a bush that grows wild all over Lebanon—add depth. Letting the salad sit for a bit before eating allows the pita to soak up the lemony dressing.
- 2 6-inch whole-wheat pitas,split
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground sumac, (see note), divided
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 small salad cucumbers, or 1 large cucumber, seeded and diced (peeled if desired)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place pita halves rough-side up on a large baking sheet. Brush with 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sumac. Bake until the pita halves are golden and crisp, about 15 minutes. When cool, break into bite-size pieces.
- Whisk lemon juice, salt, pepper and the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and 1/4 teaspoon sumac in a large bowl. Add lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, mint and the pita pieces; toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Note: The tart berries of the sumac bush add another element to many Middle Eastern dishes. Find them whole or ground in Middle Eastern markets or online at kalustyans.com or lebaneseproducts.com.
Per serving: 136 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 269 mg sodium; 387 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (90% daily value), Vitamin C (46% dv), Folate (29% dv), Selenium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique