Fast Fruit Chutney
You can use this formula to turn just about any soft fruit you may have on hand into a complex, spicy chutney. Serve with meat and poultry and use to perk up sandwiches.
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 cups diced soft fruit, such as peaches, nectarines, papayas or bananas
- 2 tablespoons minced serrano chiles, or jalapeño peppers
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- Pinch of salt
- Toast coriander seeds in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring or shaking the pan constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer to a spice grinder or mortar and pestle and grind to a coarse powder. Set aside.
- Combine sugar and water in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Once it starts boiling, cook without stirring until syrup turns amber, 3 to 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and carefully pour in vinegar. (Stand back, as caramel may sputter slightly.) Add fruit, serranos (or jalapeños), ginger, salt and the reserved ground coriander. Return saucepan to medium-high heat and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the fruit is tender and the chutney has thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Per tablespoon: 23 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 6 mg sodium; 33 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more